Wednesday 6 May 2009

_New Obsession







_With the work of illustrator John Paul Thurlow.

"This is an hommage, an attempt to create cover art for every great magazine I own (+ a few I wish I owned). It's never a straight crib and it's not about perfection, the source magazines are simply a playground for my imagination. Covering covers lets me combine some of my favourite things; portraiture, pencil sketching, typography, graphic design, and ideas - there's usually one in there somewhere. The occasional photos illustrate the Covers process: I draw A3 & A4 sections which I sometimes collage or retouch in Photoshop. The 'Covers' typeface is Akka (a nod to Carlo Scarpa) redrawn by hand, of course... and I've just discovered that another Thurlow, Helen Thurlow, designed the cover for the first edition of British Vogue... that's a lot to live up to!"

check out more of his incredible work at: http://johnpaulthurlow.blogspot.com/

No comments: